Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

My name is ***** *****. I have exactly the same problem.

Customer Question

hi, my name is ***** *****. I have exactly the same problem. I have identified the motor in question. it is right under the front console. The two blowers in the middle of the dashboard. I have already disassembled the panels and have access to the motor from the passenger side.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: clapping sound for a few seconds after ignition is turned on. I can see the 'dampers' right at the air outlet clapping
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Nissan Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 7 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. What part are you talking about? Also what is your exact issue? I also need to know the year and model Nissan? Let me know.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
hello,
Nissan Quest 2004 - clapping sound coming from the air outlet right below the dashboard center console. I have already exposed the motor that opens and closes the 2 central vents. I can see that the air flow flaps are clapping when ignition is turned on, first few seconds. Seem to me that you have already answered partially this question on your web, therefore I have not put full description of symptoms. Let me know if you need more details. Thank you for quick response.
Expert:  Jay replied 7 months ago.
Just cause you had seen a response that is similar, it doesn't tell me all the details. Do you have a link to the question that you saw information on so I can get more details of your issue?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
http://my.justanswer.com/question/guest/f93268499e864d00b5f645a36ee65183
Expert:  Jay replied 7 months ago.
oh are you getting a clicking noise? If you change air modes does it stop or change?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It only goes for 5 or so seconds after I turn ignition on, and if I turn off and on fan during driving, also for a few seconds. As I mentioned before, I have it already exposed, the motor, I mean. Someone else mentioned that it could be due to an old cabin filter, however the filter is too far away from the flaps. I can see them clicking.
Expert:  Jay replied 7 months ago.
This sounds like a Mode Door Actuator.. If you change modes in the Air system, do you get a clicking at all intermittently or constantly?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
only when I totally close the airflow through these diffusers ( attached photo) and later open them up. The clipping goes again for about 5 seconds.
Expert:  Jay replied 7 months ago.
So what mode is that Face Mode when you get the clicking?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Could not find the right picture, but the attached photo shows the modes.
Expert:  Jay replied 7 months ago.
That is a Mode door actuator for sure.. Hang on, let me get you the actuators location. Once I do that, you would need to put your hand on each one and activate the air controller to make it click to isolate which one is making the noise.. Hang on while I get it for you..
Expert:  Jay replied 7 months ago.
Do you have Auto air? Meaning on your knob it has the word Auto on it?
Expert:  Jay replied 7 months ago.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/1.pdf https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/1.jpg