Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL PERFORMANCE. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

Nothing happens when I push the ignition button on my altima

Customer Question

JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: Yes I can't start the car.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Nissan Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.
Help and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. Can you please send your Vin number so I can get you some information to help fix your vehicle.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Why do you need my Vin? It's a Nissan altima 2009
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for that information. As long as the battery is good and has a full charge, this condition is caused by a bad steering column lock module located on the base of the steering column. It picks up the signal from the fob and allows the vehicle to start. This is very common. The good news is that you can replace it yourself to save money.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How does the steering column lock module go bad? And how would I replace it?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.
The module would go bad just like any other modules. It can go bad many different ways. My experience is that they simply do not respond when needed. Usually this is a capacitor inside but it could be anything inside the box. It should just unbolt from the steering column and should be a pretty simple job.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.
I am glad I can help! It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.
Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer. I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance? Let me know!