Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

Xterra 4 prox: We have a 2011 nissan xterra pro 4x and just

Customer Question

We have a 2011 nissan xterra pro 4x and just had it serviced. It has around 46,000 miles on it. Had it one year and the mechanic found the tranny fluid looked like mud. He flushed it extensivly and got it a nice red color. We just bought a 2500 lb. travel trailer and he says not to trust the tranny now. What do u think?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. Was anything else done besides flushing the transmission fluid when that was found?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It was flushed multiple times then filled with proper fluid. that is all
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.
Oh boy.. They never fixed the actual problem causing this then. This is caused by a trans cooler failure in the radiator. The radiator needs to be replaced to resolve your issue. Now this has a warranty extension if I recall. The best thing for you to do is to contact Nissan at this number 1-800-Nissan-1 and ask them if there is a warranty on the radiator for your truck. If it's available, Nissan would replace the radiator at no charge. If the transmission is affected by the radiator, that would also be replaced. I would contact Nissan and speak to them first. Since this is a known issue. Other wise, the radiator would need to be replaced and trans flushed again. I would agree not to tow anything until the issue is resolved. Do you have any more questions on this?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no thank you. we will follow up on this. its a certified used car
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.
Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.comDon't forget to Rate me if your Satisfied with my help. I hope I have provided you with Excellent ServiceThanks Jay!