Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

Have an Altima 2006 2.5l JA: Thanks. Can you give me any

Customer Question

have an Altima 2006 2.5l
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: how do i test the shift solenoid to see if its the culprit for my stuck shifter
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Nissan Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.
Hi there,Have you been able to test anything as of yet?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
not yet. what should I use for ground.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.
You can use anything metal for a ground.Also, start by checking the brake lights and make sure they are working. If not, then it might be the brake light fuse or the brake light switch. First thing to check if you don't have the shifter cover off yet is the red/green stripped wire off the brake light switch. This sends the signal to the shift lock control module. If it's not sending signal, then the shifter won't work.It should have power when you press the brake pedal.Please check this and let me know, we can take it from there.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
where is this wire located that you are referring to?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
at the brake pedal?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.
Yes, under the dash on the brake pedal bracket. You will see 2 switches under there, but only one should have this color wire coming off of it.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
11.85v when the brakes are applied
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
center console is apart. what is the next check
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the red and white wire coming from the plug?
should there be voltage on this when brakes are applied
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.
At the center console, the red/white wire should not have power when stepping on the pedal, but should when you aren't on the brakes.The solid white should also have constant power.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i'll check now
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.
Ok, stepping out for a few minutes is all, maybe 15
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.
Ok, any luck?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
sorry computer crashed.
white wire has power the red has none either way
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.
OkThe power should run through the solenoid on the white wire until the control unit grounds it. Then that is what activates the solenoid. I believe the solenoid itself is the problem here. Otherwise the solenoid would be sticking in the off position and you would be able to pull it out of park without a problem.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
computer had problems again. sorry
going to try and replace the solenoid.
is there a manual i could refer to in order to remove and replace it
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.
Pretty sure the solenoid is part of the shifter on this. Sorry it took so long, I was trying to find it on my favorite parts site. I do not have any instructions for replacing the solenoid itself but I believe it's under the shifter. So the shifter will have to be unbolted from the floor.I would like to have you run a ground wire to that red/white wire just to be 100% sure I am not wrong about the power going through the solenoid until it's grounded. I do think the solenoid is the problem here though. Just that you may have to replace the whole shifter.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.
Please let me know if there is any more I can do to help.Also, please remember to rate my answer. Thanks so much!
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.
Hadn't heard back from you and was wondering if you need further assistance with this?