Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

This is ***** *****. I have a 2010 Nissan Maxima. The key FOB

Customer Question

This is ***** *****. I have a 2010 Nissan Maxima. The key FOB light sometimes is on and sometimes off. The car will not leave the lock position.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The little security light will flash every once in a while. The only codes the BCM has are about the steering lock unit. Since the BCM controls power to the PCM and TCM, i get no communication with them.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Nissan Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. Does the car not start right now? Is the steering wheel locked?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car will not start. Pushing the start button does nothing. The car stays in lock mode. The steering wheel is not locked.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You cannot even get the car to progress to ACC much less on
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
If the steering wheel is not locked, this is a steering lock control unit. How handy are you? I know a trick which may get this to start so you can at least get the car to a location to properly work on it. Let me know..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No problem. Igf the steering lock module is the problem, would that cause the car not to proceed to ACC?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't allow the ignition to operate cause it didn't complete the shut down cycle. If you are handy, I can explain how to possibly get the car to complete the shut down cycle so you can start the car. Let me know..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You bet. Please let me know.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zywVhHJWXgo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvUCEjVkF_0 Attempt what this guy did in this video. But use a hammer not this little plastic box he used. Locate the steering lock control unit and while tapping it with a hammer, press the brake pedal and tap the start button. It normally will allow the steering lock to operate to complete the shut down cycle. Once it does, then you can start the car. Give that a try and let me know how you make out..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try it in the morning. Does that mean we need to replace the steering lock module?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the steering wheel control unit would need to be replaced
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried the steering lock module and it did not work. I removed the unit from the steering coluum and push the solenoid in and the little key light never goes off. Could it be because of a bad module. We had already put in a new IPDM module and the new one came without the fuse for the steering lock module. We put one in but no luck. The security light still flashes and the car will not come out of lock. With the steering lock module off, I do get a picture on the lcd telling me to move the steering wheel and push the button. Any more ideas.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
You may want to check the battery as well. But if the steering wheel is not locked, that is your issue! What type of scanner are you using to try to communicate with the car? This is not a IPDM issue.