rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

My name is ***** *****. The transmission will not shift into

Customer Question

My name is ***** *****. The transmission will not shift into higher ranges. It will disengage like you put it in neutral. It did shift up before, but now will not. About 35 to 40 mph is max. No check engine or trans lights. Oil is still red.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Car has been doing this for a while. If you would back off the accelerator it would shift., but not now. This happened from driving it home at night and not working the next day. The car has 138,000 miles on it. Any other details you might need? This is my daughters car and I do not see it very offend.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Nissan Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 8 months ago.
Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confidentwe can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skilllevel. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies toget to satisfactory results. Please be patient!I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” inreturn. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If thereis any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so Ican go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help youthrough it. We need to start with checking level and color of the fluid, then move to dropping the pan and doing an inspection of the valve body and clutches. Shift solenoids can be checked with a scan tool.Thanks, Ron