Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

Nissan Altima: . I have cockroaches in my car and I can't

Customer Question

Hi. I have cockroaches in my car and I can't get rid of them. There is a water leak in the roof but it hasn't rained and the carpets are dry. I read that you shouldn't fumigate a car and that dry ice may do the trick. Any advice before this turns into a trade in? Much appreciated
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.
HI there,The following may drive them out of the car for you. This is a list of 5 repellents they don't like. It won't kill them but again, may force them out. If they don't like the area it might be enough to keep them away.Pepper Spray - Roaches don't like red pepper. So, if you spray surfaces in your kitchen and bath with a solution containing red pepper, the will avoid those surfaces. An easy recipe to whip up a batch of spray is to mix 2 tablespoons of Tobasco Sauce (the primary ingredients are red pepper and vinegar) with 1 quart of water. Pour it into a pump spray bottle and mist it onto surfaces. A word of caution, you will be misting pepper spray into the air. Until the mist settles, you are likely to sneeze more than a few times. Consider wearing a mask when you apply the spray. Moth Balls - Roaches, like moths, don't like the smell of moth balls. One common remedy is to drop a couple moth balls behind the stove to keep the bugs from hanging out back there. One or two in the cabinet under the sink can be helpful as well. Moth balls are not good for humans, so don't place them near food or food prep areas. Cedar Products - The oils in cedar wood are an effective natural deterrent for a host of bugs. There are many products available to take advantage of this fact. Look for thin cedar veneers that can be used to line drawers and cabinets, cedar balls, blocks, chips, etc to place in drawers and closets, and (of course) cedar boards and paneling to line closet walls for the ultimate protection. Mint Oil - Mint oil is a primary ingredient in several non-toxic roach sprays. The roaches avoid it, and when coated with it, they suffocate. The sprays don't kill as fast as typical poisons, but they are safe to use in the kitchen and around pets and children. It is possible to create a spray, like the pepper spray, by diluting some Dr. Brauner's Peppermint Castile Soap in water and then applying with a spray bottle. I haven't tried it, but you might be able to create your own roach spray this way if the soap concentration is high enough. Bay Leaves - Bay leaves are another sent that roaches avoid. You can pick up a bunch of dry bay leaves in the spice section of any grocery. Place whole leaves or small sachets of crushed leaves in closets and cabinets. This is a good option for kitchen cupboards. As for the dry ice, I really don't know if it's the answer or not.Please let me know if there is any more I can do to help, and please be sure to rate my answer.Thanks so much!