Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Nissan XTERRA: ! I have a 2002 XTerra. The map light fell

Customer Question

Hi! I have a 2002 XTerra. The map light fell out and I am having a very difficult time getting it to clip back in. Any tips would be appreciated!
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. Can you take a picture and show me the light please? With the cars age, I would need to see it to jolt my memory to help you. Do you think you can do that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Cool, Thank you.. Let me take a look. Give me a min
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried for quite awhile from several angles to get it to clip or squeeze back in
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
I totally remember this light.. Oh man is it a Pain in the @#%#% to get it to snap back in. I actually recall bending the clips out slightly to snap it back in. I also would line in in place and try to bang it with my palm to try to get it to snap in. This light is not easy to snap back in..
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
The head liner cloth, make sure you keep it away from the snap in area
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are the clips supposed to go over the metal brackets and hang the fixtuee in place, or just squeeze between the brackets and hold the fixture in place by tension?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The clips keep falling off the fizture when I try to bang it into place
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
The metal brackets are dimpled for it to snap into place. That dimple is so it can lock on the metal lip of the roof.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think the clip or the clip holder is broken because even if it starts to hold, the clip quickly comes completely off.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
The metal clip should not be loose in the light bracket. Does it wiggle or move?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No but it slips out when it gets pushed up into the roof.
FYI I have to drive for awhile so it may be awhile before I can try some more. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Ok.. Try if you can press it up and wiggle it also. Keep me posted on how you make out.. ok?