Super mechanic
Super mechanic, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master ASE, 30+ years exp. domestic and imports. Class A collission tech

JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details

Customer Question

***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: my 2003 nissan xterra's service engine soon light just went on and the engine temperature gauge went up. when i turned the engine off, i heard a gurgling sound
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Nissan Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Super mechanic replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today. *** A BAD RATING HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ANY DEPOSIT YOU MADE ***** .Let me start by saying that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating..They are sometimes bad about the radiators clogging up and causing an overheating. You can have that tested at a radiator shop or feel around the core when the engine is hot to see if there are any cool spots that would indicate a clog..However, with any engine that runs hot, overheats or has been overheated it is best to check the integrity of the engine, (head gaskets and heads, etc.). The first thing that you want to do is check the cooling system for any exhaust gases. Make sure that it’s full first. There is a tester for that, that you can get from Autozone for about $20. They will normally lend you the tester and you just buy the fluid for about $8. It comes with instructions, but there is a blue fluid that is used in it, if the fluid turns yellow, that is exhaust gases. . Block tester available is: Napa BK.(###) ###-#### ***** Tester AUTOZONE Part Number:27145 .*****You will want to check it at different RPM’s and at different temperatures*** ... If there are any exhaust gases in the cooling system, that will cause more pressure than desired and will allow the engine to burn coolant and/or heat the coolant up too high. Most times not filling the crankcase with coolant either and not smoke out the exhaust. If there are, then there would be an internal engine problem, like a head gasket or head. .Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here..
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If I want to have a mechanic repair this for me, what is the range of what I should be paying? From something minor to major based on what I described to you?
Normally we get paid for the original answer(s) before any follow ups, but the radiator, (with labor) would normally run around $600 at a dealership, somewhat less at an independent shop with after market parts..If it is a head gasket though, that is close to $1500 for both banks, assuming that the heads are both good..There is also a chance that it's just the thermostat, around $150 and most shops will diagnose the problem for $65 to $95, depending on the shop. Whereas some independent shops might even check it out for free, assuming that you will have them do the work on it. Thanks.Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID ****