sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Name is ***** *****. 2005 Pathfinder SE 4WD Auto. At about

Customer Question

Name is ***** *****. 2005 Pathfinder SE 4WD Auto. At about 60 MPH both the Tach and Speedo drop momentarily, at the same time and the same amount - about 5-8MPH on the speedo. I don't sense any drop in speed or rpm. I noticed it because it kicks off the cruise control. The transmission also seems to act odd - different shifting when this is occurring. It cleared up after about 15 miles of driving but came back again the next day when the systems were cold. Is this an issue you've run across before?This seems to be a separate issue but I also have had code P1273 for about the last 60 miles of driving.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Vehicle only has 33000 miles on it. Vehicle is clean but there is some rust on the undercarriage because it must have done a lot of sitting. Outside temps are about 27F.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Nissan Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.
Hi there,I would start by checking the transmission fluid level. Some of the 05 models had issues with the radiator coolant and the transmission fluid mixing. This can cause all sorts of issues. Check this first and let me know.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Transmission fluid level is good. FYI - I purchased the vehicle last September with 18000 miles on it and I immediately bypassed the trans cooler in the radiator. The fluid looked clean then and now and is at the proper level now.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.
OkIs it kicking on the abs light when they drop off?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
A light does flicker on the dash but it is very momentary so I was unable to see which one it was. Just saw it in my peripheral vision if you know what I mean. I will see if I can figure out which light it is.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.
OkI have seen a couple different issues with these. The speedo is driven by the abs wheel speed sensors. So the issue is likely either the abs control module losing signal to the ecm, or the instrument panel itself.This might be the beginning of a harness issue that doesn't affect all of these, but worth a look. If you look behind the passenger side front tire, you can see a large harness attached to the frame rail there. It might be worth while to take the connector apart and make sure there isn't any green in there. If there isn't, put some dielectric grease in it and put it back together.This will cause the abs light to come on.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The contacts in the connector are very clean - look new. It is the 4WD light that comes on. The rear speed sensors 'look' very clean with similar spacing between the toothed gear and pickup and their wires look very clean.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.
Ok, that's good news.I am going to open this back up for the other experts. I don't want to send you on a goose chase and with the 4x4 light kicking on it may have something to do with the 4x4 actuator. Please don't reply or it will lock it to me and the others won't see it.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!The problem may be an internal issue in the instrument cluster itself or it may be a bus communication issue. If the tach and speedometer drop at the same time I would expect an indication issue, although I wouldn't expect a problem in the cluster to cause the cruise to shut off.Do you have access to a scan tool to see if any fault codes are setting in the instrument cluster and other modules in addition to the engine controller?