Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Maxima: I have a 95 maxims that start very rough I checked

Customer Question

I have a 95 maxims that start very rough I checked the injectors #2 and 3 don't work sometimes and some times it works good I have the light give me a long flash and a short flash crank sensor I replaced all three and doing the same thing I rake it for a drive sometimes and is rough and all of a sudden smooths up and when turn off the same thing any ideas?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. How did you determine it was number 2 and 3 injector causing issues? Did you use a Noid light?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I disconnected the injector and no change in idle
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
When run smooth I unplugged the same injector and change in idle
Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.
This could be a coil issue as well. Did you try swapping coils to see if the misfire followed? Also what brand spark plugs do you have?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yesterday I try to start and did perfect smooth but I turned off an start again boom very rough
I have this flashing when I go to diagnose
One long flash and one short flash
Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.
Waiting on hearing if you swapped coils to see if the misfire would follow? I would also like to know what brand spark plugs you have in the engine?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Also I took the car for a drive it was shaken for about a half of mile I give some gas and feel like some release and run real smooth until I stop and start again very rough scratching my head
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes I swap the coils spark plugs are Boosh very expensive
Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.
Your issue is the Bosch plugs!! See this many times!! I know they are expensive plugs, but Nissan Engines are very sensitive to the brand spark plugs used. They only like NGK Platinum Plugs. I have worked for Nissan for over 20 years. I can tell when these cars don't have the correct plugs installed when driving them. I can almost tell when they are Bosch. Bosch are actually the worst one. I would put NGK spark plugs in first, the drive it and see if the issue is resolved. That is what your next step will be. Do you have any more questions on this?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sorry I thin I mistake there are ngk
What about the code that come up right away after I clear it calls for crank sensor
I have this car since it was brand new and using same plugs never an issue
I replace the sensor pig tail and still the same
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
If it was the plug why is the injector not pulsing
Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.
Did you use a noid light to verify the injector is not pulsing?
Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.
please be sure about the brand spark plug. That makes a big difference on these cars.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Car still doing the same thing
I checked the plugs and they are ngk
I just start the cat and start very smooth then I turned off the key and here it go again
Very rough no power I Google code and call for the crank angle sensor replaced and still the same
Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.
What code are you getting? You never told me you had a code?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
If you see the first conversation that where I mentioned the short and long flashes
Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.
I am not use to checking codes using the self diagnostic mode. Every time I have a customer on here with self diagnostic codes, they always tend to read them wrong and I waste time trying to help them with the wrong information. I will try to help you with the code, Give me a min to open the service manual. Hang on please.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I be out of town tomorrow for couple of days
One thing I noticed is that when starts fine I hear the egr rattling and when start rough I don't hear it
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
This car is an OBD 1
Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.
I know it is, I have been working for Nissan since 1991. They came out with 0BD2 in 96. But since the Maxima was a new design for 95 and the platform was already preset, Nissan was grandfathered not to be full 0BD2 till the year 2000. But had to make a OBD2 connection for 1996 models to read the SRT's for inspection (System Readiness Tests )
Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.
I can not seem to find any type of self diagnostics to get codes. What are you doing to get codes?
Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.
Is that a code 12?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I use the small screw on the cpu next to the gas pedal I turned to the right for 2 second and start flashing
I believe is code 11 but I already replace the sensor and tested I know a bit about cars but this is kicking my butt I was hoping you have some ideas
Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.
Are you checking codes in Mode 3?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't know
I thing you are in the right track
How do I get mode 3?
Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.
When you turn the diagnostic screw, it will blink 1 time.. If no codes in mode 1, it will automatically go to Mode 2 then the lights will flash two time fast. If not codes, then it will go into mode 3. The lights will flash 3 times flash. Then turn the screw back while the key is left on to keep in in mode 3 to allow it to flash and see if you can count. It will flash a numbers of times, stop for a second, then flash another number of times. So if it flashed 5 times, then 3 times, that would be a 53. If you allow it to go to mode 5 it will clear all codes. Understand?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'll try it Tuesday. when back from out of town
I'll let you know if it works
Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.
ok