Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

I have a 1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4. While driving

Customer Question

Hello Ryan, I have a 1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4. While driving recently down he highway my car suddenly did not have any engine power, though the electrical components continued to work. I recently replaced the fuel pump, the radiator and water pump as well as the slave and master cylinder. The vehicle attempts to start so the engine attempts to turn but it just won't go, do you thin you could give me any advice?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Did you have a Check Engine Light on before the truck stalled on you?

Also did it stall out like someone turned the key off or like it ran out of gas?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the check engine light was already on and yes that's exactly what seemed to happen, more as if it ran out of gas be aside my power steering was still working. But of course it wasn't a low fuel issue.
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.

Since the Check Engine light was on before this happened, do you happen to know what fault codes you have?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Unfortunately no, I had my vehicle brought back to my home. Would that be the next step I need to take?
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.

Yes you would need to see what fault code you have. That could tell you why it the truck stalled.

Most common for stalling like it ran out of gas is the MAF sensor. the MAF ( Mass Air Flow ) sensor heated element which meters the air so the computer can add the proper fuel mixture has fallen out of spec. If it causes a check engine light it can be because the Air and fuel Mixture is so off that it could cause lean or rich codes, or simply MAF sensor codes. When it's bad it can cause No Start, Stalling like it runs out of gas, poor acceleration, won't rev over a certain Rpm, and other type of running issues. Scanning the car if it doesn't start would be the first thing you need to do. If you are able to get it to start, I would have the Air and Fuel mixture readings checked to verify the MAF sensor is operating properly or not. When checking the MAF sensor voltage, it will not show the fault, the air and fuel mixture will. If found to be bad, do not replace with a After Market one. After market MAF sensors never seem to work properly. There heated element doesn't work right which can cause 02 sensors to flat line and have you chasing you tail trying to figure out what is wrong. So the only way to correct this issue if you do have a bad MAF sensor is to replace it with a OEM.

Do you have any more questions on this?