Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.

Ok, so I hogged out the cats and vehicle now starts and runs

Customer Question

Ok, so I hogged out the cats and vehicle now starts and runs extremely rough. There is also a constant loud tapping sound I will see if I can attach a video. It's an 01 Nissan Xterra 3.3 non sc. Are these common to have lifters, cam shaft, valve train problems? Also, can you please let me know of common failures with this engine. When it overheated it was pretty bad. No signs of overheating now. No coolant loss. Still low compression 120 psi. The noise is not a knock it's a tapping sound. Could I have an exhaust leak? Sorry for a jumbled request just trying to think of anything that it could be.
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Unable to insert a video. But like I said it runs really rough, a popping sound almost like a back fire and tapping that does not go away. I did just find out that I need to adjust the distributor today that was causing me not to be allowed to give it throttle. I'm debating on having the engine rebuilt due to low compression but want your knowledge first.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.

I would start with the timing. I do not see a lot of issues in general with this engine, in fact the most common is broken timing belts, bad distributors and sometimes leaking intake manifold gaskets.

Setting the timing right will likely help with the running quite a bit. Make sure the tapping isn't a plug wire arcing and snapping. If it is misfiring it could be the problem. At least now that it will idle on it's own you can set up the timing and go from there.