Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

I have a 2004 maxima. Today my service engine soon light

Customer Question

I have a 2004 maxima. Today my service engine soon light came on. What are the possible reasons for this and what does that entail? Thank you.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 7 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

The Service Engine Soon light can come on for many reasons. You have more than 6 control units in your car. All these control units all talk to each other. Because of this type of system, if a Service Engine Soon light is turned on, there is a possibility of over 300 possible codes. Trying to guess that is just as hard as picking the pick 3 lotto numbers.

The best way to determine the course of direction for your issue is to see if you have a local auto zone near you. They offer free scans. Once they perform the scan they will be able to tell you the code number which if you would like to return back to this question to ask about the code I will continue to help you. If you live in California, Auto Zone does not offer this in California.

Do you have any more questions on this?