Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

04 Nissan Maxima has very stiff stealing. I installed a new

Customer Question

04 Nissan Maxima has very stiff stealing. I installed a new lower shaft, pump, rack and tie rod ends. Please help
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Stiff Steering you mean? What size wheels do you have and the pump and rack you installed, where did you buy it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
whatever is standard....I am not at the car now to check wheel size. I bought a pump and rack and lower shaft from Rock Auto.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
did you get my response?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

When you buy after market parts, they can certainly play a factor in the steering operation. The parts could be the cause of why it's so stiff.

As long as you have the factory size tires on the car I can't see that being the problem. I have seen after market Racks and Pumps cause stiff or loose steering issues.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I know you are trying to save money by using after market parts. But this is the result of it I am afraid. I have encountered this before with after market parts. Not so much with the steering rack joint. But the Rack or Pump I have.

How long have these parts been installed in the car?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This was the original problem. After installing all of the new parts nothing has changed. I have a hard time believing all of the after market parts are faulty
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just got done installing the parts tonight
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I would have agree'd with you years ago about after market parts. But it seems these days they are not as manufactured with the same care as 10 or more years ago. It just seems from what I have seen, in the past 10 years a total change in quality of after market parts. Especially Electrical!!!

How long has these parts been in the car? Do you know if you removed a Original Steering rack or a after mark one?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is my sons car he bought about 1 year ago. The rack I replaced was a junk yard unit with the yellow paint pen markings. The pump was Reginald
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

That was the old steering system you just removed that you once replaced?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the one I removed was the junk yard unit
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I really wish I knew the tires sizes. If the car has to big of a tire, that could be the issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is not the tires. The car is off the ground on jack stands which the tires off.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Did you try changing the power steering pressure switch?

That is the only other thing I can think of other than the parts causing this.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is the pressure switch located
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/1b.jpg

That image has the pressure sensor. This signal could help turn on more steering assist when turned.

Or there is a restriction in the Power Steering cooler.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If it is not either of those two items I listed then it has to be with either the after market pump or after market rack causing the steering to be stiff.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me.

That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!