Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I just boughr a 2013 maxima. Dully loaded yesterday. Tonight

Customer Question

I just boughr a 2013 maxima. Dully loaded yesterday. Tonight I went out and l I add some cds for tomorrow's commute. They whole car locked down. Thought it was the bettery, even though I was in the car for 15 min.
Had my son come jump it off. Didn't work. Interior lights etc work. Brake is stiff. Won't start.
Please advise?:/
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question

What most likely happened is that you double tapped the start button since the car is new to you. Double tapping is when you press the start button more than 1 time to shut the car down. When you do this, the car will turn off and the ignition will either turn on to ACC mode or ON which will drain the battery almost completely. So the car will be stone dead.

So what I would recommend you attempt to do is lets try jump starting the car. When you jump start the car, you want to leave the car that is running attached to your car for at least 10 mins or so to charge up your battery before you attempt to start the car. When ever you are hooking up jumper cables, you always want to connect Positive First, then negative last. Failure to connect them in that sequence could result in a voltage surge. When removing the cables from the battery, Negative First, then Positive.

Please give that a try and let me know how you make out, or if you have any more questions on this before you try, just ask.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Already done. We let it charge for 20 min. No response
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Windows cracked, raining and have to go to work 7:45 in the am. NOT happy. Traded a Cary about 24 hotel ago. :/
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Toyota Camry
Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.

If you attempted to jump start the car and are charging the battery now, if you did not connect the jumper cables in the pattern I told you, then you could have blown the main fusible link. The Main fusible link is off the positive battery terminal. It is hard sometimes to tell it is blown looking at it through the clear lends. But if you can't tell, then you would need to remove it to inspect it.

I am sorry this has happened. I am doing my best to help you with this issue. Here is a image of the main fusible link blown. Then removed and I am holding up to the light so you can see that it is blown.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/fusible%20link%201a.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/Fusible%20link%201b.jpg

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The dealership can deal with it tomorrow. Thanks for your inout. Haven't had it long enough to be married to it. Loading cds? NOT impressed at ALL.
Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.

I understand your frustration. Let me know if you have any more questions on this.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you....:)
Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.

Your welcome!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Oh and what's my charge? They will be reimbursing me.
Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.

I will put you in for a refund..

Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.

Done.. I put you in for a refund.

Have a good night.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I appreciate it. You also!