Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

Cold start or first start of the day my 2013 Frontier has a

Customer Question

Cold start or first start of the day my 2013 Frontier has a grinding or scraping sound for a few seconds then goes away. What do you think this could be?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 7 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Does the noise seem to be coming from the engine area ? Under the truck? it only does it on first start up?

How many miles on the truck?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
in the engine area near the front
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
32,500 miles
Expert:  Jay replied 7 months ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** many miles do you have on the truck?

Expert:  Jay replied 7 months ago.

This sounds like it could be a timing chain tensioner bleeding down. So when you first start the truck, it has to build up pressure which it doesn't take long to do, but in the mean time the chain slaps around which could be giving off that grinding or scrapping type noise.

if indeed my thoughts are correct, this is covered under the Powertrain warranty which is 5 years or 60k miles. So what I would suggest you do is drop it off at night or after work, for them to check it the following morning to try to duplicate the noise. This way they can replace the tensioner for you.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I bought this used with 27K. Would this still be under the power train warranty? Is this a issue that needs to be fix to prevent further damage? Or just more annoying than anything.
What should it cost to fix?
Expert:  Jay replied 7 months ago.

Yes it would be. This is a Factory warranty. So it does not go by owners. It just goes by time and mileage. You also have a 3 year or 36k bumper to bumper warranty. That could be expired by time.

How long ago did you buy it?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Late July 2015
Expert:  Jay replied 7 months ago.

You are fine to take it to the dealer. If it was recent, like the past couple months, I would have told you to take it back to where you brought it.

But to much time has past for that. So you would need to have the dealer look at this and if it's the tensioner like I am thinking, it would be covered under warranty

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it definitely needs to be fixed, right?Worse case scenario it would cost approximately, what?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
one more question we changed the belt and the noise seemed to get louder
Expert:  Jay replied 7 months ago.

It should not make any noise when first starting up.

As for worst case, I can not give you a ball park. I am unable to hear the noise to verify my thoughts. I am basing this on my experience and what I have seen.

As for your belt, If it's a after market belt I have seen them make noises cause they are softer than the OEM belts. So if this noise started shortly after changing the drive belt, I would get a belt from the dealer and install that first to see if the noise goes away that way.

The softer belt may make the auto belt tensioner slap around more.

Do you have any more questions on this?