Nissan Navara D22 2004 ST-R 30lt Turbo Diesel Cuts out when

Customer Question

Nissan Navara D22 2004 ST-R 30lt Turbo Diesel
Cuts out when I am going down hill. I have to push the clutch in, switch off the ignition and then start it again as I free wheel down the hill. I know when this is going to happen when I see the rev counter decrease slowly when I take my foot off the accelerator instead of the normal drop in revs when I de-accelerate
Category: Nissan
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the problem only happens when going downhill then I would first suspect fuel starvation. The downhill attitude is most likely allowing the pickup in the tank to suck air, either due to a restricted inlet filter or physical damage to the pickup/pump.

If you completely fill the fuel tank does the problem go away?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The problem only happens occasionally. It may not happen for months and then it will do it again two or three times in one trip and not again for a few weeks

Try and take note of the fuel level when it happens, if the problem is truly related to attitude then you should find it happens when fuel level is under 1/2 to 3/4 tank.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Today I drove with the fuel gage showing less than a quarter tank and there was no problem with cutting out so that blows the theory of low fuel levels

I thought the problem was intermittent?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the problem is intermittent but if it was to do with low fuel then it would happen every time wouldn't it?

Whatever the cause the problem is intermittent. That doesn't rule out or condemn any component.

Do you have a scan tool to monitor data?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm sorry this messaging is so disjointed as I am doing it between jobs. No I don't have one of those things

If no fault codes are setting it's really going to take the ability to monitor data while the problem is happening, or data recording to be able to play the recording back and get an idea of what is going on. Noting whether it only happens when the fuel level is lower was a simple thing that could be done without testing. Try keeping the fuel level high and see if the problem goes away.