Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified since 1985
20625509

Few weeks ago I t a curb with my 99 maxima my passenger side

Customer Question

Few weeks ago I hit a curb with my 99 maxima my passenger side front tire has been wobbling causes my car to shake once it's reach a specific mph. Also my steering wheels moves uncontrollably by itself
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I just want to know whether it's my axel bent rim ?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Nissan Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike S. replied 8 months ago.

Does the steering wheel move back and forth front right to left as you start driving slow, then get faster as the speed increases? From what you describe, that is from a bent rim/wheel when you hit the curb on the right front. That is most likely also the cause of the wobbling and the shake.

Take the wheel/tire to a tire store like Goodyear, Firestone or any shop that has a tire spin balancer and tire machine to break down the tire, remove it from the rim/wheel, remove all of the wheel weights and place it on the spin balancer and spin it and see if in fact it doe wobble either side to side or up and down. If so, you need another wheel/rim. They can be straightened out but sometimes it's just as expensive as replacing it. The tire may be fine but it will still have to be checked when put on the new rim/wheel and it will also have to be balanced again.

Chances are it's not the axle but they should be able to check it as well. One good way to tell, is swap it to the rear and feel if the steering wheel stops shaking and instead the seats shake now.