Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I have over 20 years experience in the automotive service industry.

I have a 1999 Nissan Maxima, this morning I started it to

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Nissan Maxima, this morning I started it to let it warm up a little. It was 42 degrees. I went out to go to work and ABS light was on. Next think I knew all lights were on, radio went off, all the lights started flashing and the car died. Now it won't even act like it is going to start. Nothing when I turn the key on. Have had a starter and Idle air sensor put on the car in the last 2 months. What's wrong with my car?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.

Hello, I believe your alternator has failed. If you can jumpstart it, (you will probably have to leave battery cables on it for a while if you jumpstart it), or put the battery on a charger, that will likely get it to start again, but the alternator is what charges the battery and runs the vehicle as you drive down the road. When the alternator fails, the vehicle runs off just the battery until it uses up the battery and then it will shut off after the dash lights cut on just like your car did. Get a good battery in it, and check the charging system voltage, should be around 14-15 volts with engine running, If it's 13 or under, replace the alternator. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.

Hello, we're you able to get the charging system voltage checked by chance? and do you have any further questions? Thank you.