peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.
14928985

Jay my 2012 Sentra won't shift into park. I had my mechanic

Customer Question

Hi jay my 2012 Sentra won't shift into park. I had my mechanic look into it and the transmission seems fine
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: it happened out of the blue just driving around one day and then I couldn't move into park. I can shift through reverse neutral drive and low with no issues, they all engage and drive fine but park is a no go even pushing the park release.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Nissan Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 8 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

I would have the transmission shifter linkage/cable disconnected at the transmission to see if it will then shift into park manually at the transmission.If it does then the fault is in the shifter linkage or cable causing this fault here needing replaced.I have seen this fail before requiring replacement.

If it will not shift manually into park at the transmission with the shifter linkage or cable disconnected then the fault is internal in the transmission and the transmission needs inspected to locate and repair this issue here.In some cases this will require removal of the transmission for a full inspection to locate and repair the cause.Usually a damaged internal park pawl or another component in the transmission will need replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete