I have a 1994 Pathfinder XE. It has completely lost 4th gear

Customer Question

I have a 1994 Pathfinder XE. It has completely lost 4th gear and no one seems to have the answer. Transmission pan was pulled, they say everything looked fine, clean fluid and no signs of any damage. They diagnosed it as electrical, and checked and tightened sensors with no luck. Had to buy a new TCM since they said that could be the only reason for the failure. No luck ! Checking online a couple people noted that changing the TPS fixed it so I replaced that last night, still no 4th / OD. I am at a complete loss, the shop had it for 2 weeks and could not find a single thing wrong.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 7 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Is the truck at a trans shop or a repair shop right now?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No, two weeks there with no result.
Expert:  Jay replied 7 months ago.

This type of issue is best to be taken to a transmission shop. What I would normally do for this type of issue is remove the valve body and air check the clutches to see if 4th gear is actually working. If it holds air pressure, then I would look at the valve body and solenoid operation to determine if one of the two is causing the problem.

Do you have any more questions on this?