Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.

Alt. 2.5 idle loops (idle goes up and down) after it warms

Customer Question

alt. 2.5 idle loops (idle goes up and down) after it warms up.
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: 2006 altima 2.5
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: i thought it was the throttle , I replaced it, but that was not it
JA: Is there anything else the Nissan Mechanic should be aware of about your Nissan?
Customer: 160k
JA: Our top Nissan Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Nissan Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Nissan Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.

HI there,

Did you do the throttle relearn after replacing it?
Also, is the check engine light coming on?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Today I unplugged my throttle body to clean it out because my idle was a little high (1100 rpm). After putting it back together the idle began loping 1000-1500 rpm. I tried the relearn procedure over a dozen times but no results. The engine is at operating temp and the CEL is off. Will not relearn.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.

Sometimes cleaning the throttle body damages the motors in it.

Are you using a watch or clock with a second hand to do this? If you don't time it perfect it won't do the relearn

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I was careful not to do that , also tried another throttle from another car, same problem. When i get to the end of the procedure and hold the pedal the light does blink then go solid, start engine still loping.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.

Ok, you might have a vacuum leak. Take some of the carb cleaner and when the engine is running, spray it around the throttle body and intake. If the idle speed increases or smooths out, you have a vacuum leak

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I checked for vacuum leaks with carb spray and also forced smoke into the intake. Found no leaks. I have a cheap scan tool, it shows the temperature to be 99 degrees C. I also tried eliminating the pcv by plugging the valve and the breather tube.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.

I assume this wasn't an issue prior to cleaning the throttle?