Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I own a 2014 Nissan Altima just replaced batteries in both

Customer Question

I own a 2014 Nissan Altima just replaced batteries in both FOBs and now they are not working
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Nissan Mechanic will know what to do. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I can't lock or open the car with the intelligent key
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes if its something I can do
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: lock unlock the car
JA: Is there anything else the Nissan Mechanic should be aware of about your Nissan?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

What was the battery number you installed into the remote?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cr2032
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced batteries to my two fobs
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

CR2032 is the correct battery. Did you install it the right direction? Do you have the old batteries? Did you try re-installing them to see if functions would start to work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dod
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I did
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/1d.jpg

Please double check the direction you installed the battery and double check the battery number for me.

If the old batteries worked, try putting them back in and see if you regain operations again. Then let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You are asking things that I already tried also cant put back the old batteries and they were not working that is why I changed them otherwise I would have not bother
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tell me if you can help or are you just trying
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I thought you said that they were worked before you changed them. That is why I was asking you to try what I suggested..

If they were not working, then we will need to check other things.

How many miles are on the car?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The car still starts right? If pressing the start button the car does not start, hold the remote over the start button and press the start button that should start the car.

Let me know..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car has 19036 miles , I have two fobs I used both fobs until batteries indicated they needed to be replaced they were working fine until I changed the battery
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car starts fine it is the inteligent keys that do not work
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Got it.. Ok. This is going to require the car to be rebooted. To do this, you need to disconnect the negative battery cable for 15 mins. Then connect it. The check remote operation.

Give this a try for me and let me know how you make out. Then I will tell you how to program the auto up feature for you windows after you disconnect the battery and while we are waiting.. ok?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will let you know after I get home because I am driving home from work
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

ok..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I disconnected the battery now what
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Now we wait 15 mins. While we are waiting, I will tell you how to program the auto up feature for you auto windows.

It's really easy.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
15 mins? Not seconds
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Lower the window you are programming. Then lift and hold the window switch up. When the window reaches the top and stops, continue to hold the switch up and count to 5. Then release. That is how you program the auto up window feature. You will need to do that for each window.

Yes, 15 mins. Not 15 seconds.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What does the window have to do with my problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not programing the windows I reprograming the intelligent keys?????
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

When you disconnect the battery, the auto up feature for the windows needs to be reprogrammed.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

This is a issue with the BCM on your car. This should bring the remotes back to life. Then the next time you go to the dealer, you are going to want to tell them that the remotes stopped working and this is what you had to do to get them to work again. So they can go through the system and update or replace the Bcm to resolve this. Just remember when you go to the dealer next to mention this, bring all your keys. They will need to be programmed to the new BCM if it needs to be replaced.

This should work though if you disconnect it for 15 mins.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your advise did not work I am still not able to use my alarm
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
by the way the windows were eorkinf fine
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

This is a BCM issue. This is covered under warranty. The hard reset normally works. But if it doesn't the BCM would need to be replaced. So since the car is under warranty, you will need to make a appointment to have this done.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any more questions on this?