Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

I have a 1995 pathfinder when I turn the key off the engine

Customer Question

I have a 1995 pathfinder when I turn the key off the engine keeps running, the radio turns off but the engine stays on. I have been shutting it off by putting it in 5th gear release the clutch that kills the engine the dashboard idiot lights stay on I then disconnect the battery that shuts everything off reconnect the battery and I am back to normal
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.

That can happen when the ignition switch is not cutting off power completely to the engine modules. Replacing the electrical part of the ignition switch should fix this issue. Please refer to the attached image for replacement instructions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have disconnected the switch but makes no difference, or would it? I'll go out and get a new one if you still think that's what is wrong.
please respond!

There is a chance you might have removed the switch still plugged in to the harness. Otherwise, check for an aftermarket remote start or any other aftermarket device/system that might be powering the engine controls. Please let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there there is no remote to the car

I just noticed something you posted that has made me stop; what exactly did you mean by "I have disconnected the switch but makes no difference, or would it?"

In a vehicle which has had no modifications or accessories installed, the ignition switch is the only thing that allows battery voltage to go through and energize the fuel pump and ignition coil, which are the things that keep the engine running; disconnecting the ignition switch should immediately result in the engine shutting down from lack of fuel and spark.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WELL I THINK WE ARE GETTING NOWHERE, I KNOW HOW THE VEHICLE SHOULD RESPOND BUT IT IS NOT, THAT IS WHAT IS WRONG.