Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, worked in auto industry for 22 years on engine, transmission and suspension design
12772297

350z rough idle, Runs great but at red lites etc..rough

Customer Question

350z rough idle
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Runs great but at red lites etc..rough (skip) at idle, usually after engine is warm
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Nissan Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Matt replied 8 months ago.

Hello

can you tell me what year the car is please?

also how many miles are on it and when it was last serviced?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
2003, 43k, svcd in July 2015.,
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It also has a recently installed pop charger type air cleaner
Expert:  Matt replied 8 months ago.

Hello

Ok

have you tried putting the intake back to standard ? as often an aftermarket intake can upset the MAF meter and so produce the issues you describe?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I think there is a piece of cap or something in the maf...does this sound feasible?
Expert:  Matt replied 8 months ago.

very possible

try cleaning the airflow meter by removing it from the car and spraying the exposed sensor wires inside the tube with a brake or switch cleaner - ensure that the cleaner is one of the old fashioned, non Eco type that does not leave a residue

On no account touch the sensor wires with anything physical as they are extremely fragile