Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

My name is ***** *****. y problem is that my wife's Nissan

Customer Question

My name is ***** *****. y problem is that my wife's Nissan altima 05 ran out of oil and before we knew it she tried to crank it. Now after putting oil in it, it turns over but want crank
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It almost caught once but has not since it just keeps trying
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Nissan Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 9 months ago.

hey there, thanks for the question.

Expert:  Jake replied 9 months ago.

Since the engine ran out of oil, the first thing needed to be done would be a compression check.

If compression numbers are good then we can look into spark/fuel/security issues since the engine is cranking.

Expert:  Jake replied 9 months ago.

being that its an 05 altima that ran out of oil, more than likely this is one that had a previous catalytic convertor failure.

These are known to cause oil consumption which is why it was not noticed until the oil was either extremely low or empty.