Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Please tell me exactly where the drivers side headlight

Customer Question

Please tell me exactly where the drivers side headlight ballast is located and how to access for a 2002 Nissan Maxima. Thanks
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Nissan. The Nissan Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Drivers side low beam headlight bulb is bad. Quoted by local shop as $200 for just the bulb. I purchased a complete high/low beam HID 6200K degree kit that includes 2 bulbs, 2 ballasts and wiring with connectors but I do not know where the old OEM ballast is located or how to access it.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes. I used identical kits installing them myself on my 2000 Chevy Silverado and also on my 2005 Scion and both work perfectly.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Not much of anything...removed the battery and tray that holds it. Read online that the ballast may be located behind the front bumper or fender unit and that when 2002 first came out the bumper assembly has an extra brace that Nissan installed to prevent theft of headlight assemblies but that it can be removed with no adverse effects. I am looking to do the least work...need to locate the positive wire that gives power to the OEM ballast and disconnect it and reinstall the wire to the new 55 watt kit but also think that the fuse may not be big enough for the 55 watts as the OEM is 35 watts and wonder if I also need to install heavier wiring?
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Nissan Mechanic will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Nissan Mechanic should know about your Nissan?
Customer: There is nothing wrong with the battery...did you read my reply.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $15 after the Nissan Mechanic responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for you question

The Ballast is located under the head light assembly. To change it, the head light assembly would need to be removed. The front bumper cover needs to be removed to remove the head light. Here is a image of where the ballast is located.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/Pages%20from%20LT.pdf

Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Do you need the steps on how to remove the bumper cover to access the head light assembly?

Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.

Do you have any more questions on this?