Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

My name is ***** *****. We had tighten the battery on the

Customer Question

My name is ***** *****. We had tighten the battery on the xterra. By doing this the alarm system will not allow us to restart the car. We do not have the book and the dealer is closed
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: We can not turn off the security system to start the car.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Nissan Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Is the alarm going off? If so, which lights are flashing exactly?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The is not going off its not allowing us to start the car we need to know how to disable the security system so we can start the car. We talk to one mechanic and he said because we removed the battery the security system shut the car down
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

If it's the factory security system, use the mechanical key to lock and unlock the truck.

When you lock it with the key, watch the security light. See if it turns solid for 10 to 20 seconds and then blinks. If it does, then use the key to unlock the door once it starts to blink and that would verify that the factory alarm is disabled.

Give that a try and let me know..

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The light is flashing in side the truck so we know the alarm is keeping the car from starting
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

The factory security light is suppose to blink. Follow the steps like I stated and let me know if the alarm is working as I stated.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It didn't work know it says VDC off
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

When you have the Key in the ON position that is known as bulb check, so you will see all warning lights on.

When you have the truck off, and all doors closed and you lock the truck with the key, the security light does not turn solid?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The light is still flashing after we are inside the truck and followed all steps doors locked ect..
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
A mechanic was here and check the battery it has a full charge. It's the security system
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Not inside the truck, use the mechanical key while outside the truck and lock it and check the security light.

Are you hearing any type of relay clicking on and off ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

If you are hearing a relay clicking, and there is no lights flashing, then you have a after market alarm. It is not factory.

How handy are you?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My husband is very handy
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

What he will need to do is look under the drivers side dash area for the After Market Alarm Control Unit. Once located, unplug it's one main connector. Here is a image of what it should look like, and which plug needs to be unplugged.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/After%20market%20Alarm%20control%20unit%20unplugged.jpg

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We have looked every were there is no after market alarm. We are following the steps over and over its not working and even the mechanic could not figure it out.
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

What year Xterra is this?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
2006
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

The security light that you see blinking, is it in the meter area and looks like a car with a key in it?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it is
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

That light is not turning solid when you have all doors closed and you lock the car with the key? Solid for only 10 to 20 seconds..

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it turned solid and we then unlocked the car and it started to flash again
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

That is normal for it to do that. I was looking for it to turn solid, cause that means using the key is arming and disarming the security system, so the factory security system is not your issue.

Does the engine turn over and not start?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Well I'll have to have it towed to a shop the radio and everything is working it just won't start. Very strange it's not the alarm.
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Does the engine turn over and not start? or does nothing happen when you turn the key?

Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Is the security light ON solid when the key is in the ON position? or is it off?

This would tell me if it's the immobilizer system ( this is the chip in the Key for the truck to start ).

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The engine doesn't turn over and the alarm light is solid
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

If the security light is solid when the key is in the ON position in the ignition means there is a key programming issue. How ever, the engine should turn over but not start.

Do you have another key you can try?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No the dealer has the other
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Why does the dealer have the other key?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Because we are paying payments. They only gave us one key. I'll have to call them when they open tomorrow
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The key looks fine we opened it and the inside looks new
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

It sounds like this key is not programmed to the truck, where the one the dealer has maybe.

Is this truck in the dealer parking lot?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's been working for the last month. We can't mess with it anymore I have kids who need to eat and go to school tomorrow I'll have to worry with it tomorrow
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Well I would get the other key from the dealer. This is a key issue where it can't read the chip in the key if the security light is ON solid when the key is turned to the ON position.

You can try this to see if it will come out of lock mode, but if not, then we will need to get the other key from the dealer to see if that key works.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/Lock%20Mode%201.jpg