EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master certified L1, L2, Diesel Certified 16 years experience
34559540

My gas gauge reads over full all the time. 2003 Pathfinder.

Customer Question

My gas gauge reads over full all the time. 2003 Pathfinder. Also my Check Engine light came on at the same time. I expect a link. I paid the dealer $500 to fix it, but he put in a fuel sender and it is still inop. Can you help?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 9 months ago.

Hi. When you turn the key on and off does the gauge move or sweep from empty to full?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
When I turn the key off the gauge sweeps to "empty." When I turn the key on the gauge sweeps to over full.

Ok. we know the sender is not the problem since that has been replaced. Too me it sounds like you have a broken wire from the sender to the instrument cluster. The connectors for the sender and instrument cluster will have to be accessed and the the wires checked with a volt meter and/or load tested to see if there is a break or chaff causing high resistance in the circuit.