Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

My 2011 leaf starts to charge but then the orange light goes

Customer Question

my 2011 leaf starts to charge but then the orange light goes off after 3-4 seconds and does not come back on. The first blue light also starts but then stops in the same period. I hear the charging trickle charger box making clicking sounds. I tried different outlets both at home and at work.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 9 months ago.

Hey there, in most cases when it won't charge it's because you have the charge timer on.

Push the timer OFF button by your knee and then proceed to charge it immediately. It gives you a 15 minute window to start the process after pushing the button.

The button looks like a little clock with a plug coming out of it.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I tried that and it still will only start to charge for 3-4 seconds then kick off with only the green light showing. I noticed that the plug has carbon on it and part of the prong has been burned off. Could a short circuit have damaged the charging mechanism on the cord?
Expert:  Jake replied 9 months ago.

ohhh wow, yea that sounds like something shorted out and burnt it up.

Expert:  Jake replied 9 months ago.

i would bet there is burning at the receptacle as well, which we see in most cases like this. People will use a worn or poorly grounded garage outlet and the excessive amperage draw with poor contact on the back side causes excessive heat. Have even seem them burn up outlets in that case.