Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

MATT AND TRYING TO IDENTIFY BY VIN A TRANS VERSUS AN OPEN

Customer Question

MATT AND TRYING TO IDENTIFY BY VIN A LSD TRANS VERSUS AN OPEN DIFF TRANS IN A 99 MAXIMA. THE VIN IS JN1CA21D5XT826488
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: NEEDS CV AXLES AND THE DRIVER'S SIDE IS DIFFERENT FOR THE TWO TRANSMISSIONS AND THE CAR JUST BROKE ONE SO WHILE IT IS IN TOW I WAS GOING TO GET THE AXLES
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Nissan Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
IS THERE ANYONE THERE?
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

This is something for a Nissan Parts department to decode the vin out to find out for you. We don't have access to this type of information.

I can find out for you tomorrow if you like, or you can call your local dealer and ask. Let me know.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I can do that tomarrow that is why I used this site tonight I too am a mechanic who used to work for nissan and was hoping you guys had access to the Nissan vin decoder/parts catalog otherwise I'll check the tag on the trans when it gets here tonight after the parts stores close
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

I have all the service manuals, Asist program for bulletins and everything you can think of. But we don't have access to Parts. Sorry. I can close this and re-open this question to see if someone else has this information. But when it comes to decoding vins, that requires the Parts department computer. Especially on the age of this car. I can pull up somethings, but when a vehicle is older than 11 years, the program I use won't have the older models information.

I will opt out and re-open this question for you. Do not reply, if another expert has this information, he will reply to you.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I know I thought there might be some one out there from the tech line or something that would have access to that database. T
Thanks for the look though.
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

I agree on this here,this is something that usually has to be checked and done by a dealer.If you are unable to get this info from them on this here or want to see if anyone else here can still assist on this let me know.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
its too late the car is already here the parts stores had already closed and I am delayed and will find the info myself and would like a refund

I will send this to customer service.

Thanks Pete