Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

How to remove and replace a lower ball joint on a 92 Nissan

Customer Question

how to remove and replace a lower ball joint on a 92 Nissan d21 pick up
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

You are trying to get the ball joint removed from the knuckle? is that where you are stuck?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have it separated but when I try to remove it there is not enough room to get it out it is hitting the hub
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Is this a 4x4 or 4x2?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4X4
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The lower ball joint should slip out. If you can't get it out, then you may need to loosen the axle to give it more room to come out.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Loosen the axle at the knuckle so it can be pushed back to give you the extra room needed to slip the ball joint out.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

That video shows how to loosen the axle.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not hitting the rubber boot it is hitting on solid steel behind the brake rotor sorry about my spelling
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The backing plate?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No It is we're the rubber boot attaches to I guess is the hub assembly behind the backing plate
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Where the stem of the lower ball joint comes through the knuckle? That is stuck? or it is loose?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Any way you can take a picture and show me. My terminology maybe different than yours which is why I may not be understanding where you are stuck

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a picture now on my phone now but not real good and I could get a better picture in the morning but I don't know how to send it to you through this site
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

On the phone I am not sure. If you went to a computer you would have a link to add a image.

I can wait till the morning if that would be easier.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know if you would but if I had your cell # ***** could send it to you I would not call you or give your # ***** anyone I just need my truck back tank you for your help so far
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The only way I share my contact number is ***** the additional service request. That request provides a private box to enter contact numbers in. Do not enter any personal contact information in the question.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I know if I was to see what you are talking about, that I could help. Just trying to get a idea where you are stuck.

I know you need a fork to break free the joint from the knuckle.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

This might work. If you took a short video clip, and posted it on You Tube and shared the link.

Could you do that?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The ball joint is separated just not enough room to remove it
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Is it catching the brake backing plate or hitting the axle?