Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

My car is not starting and it has MIL light, battery light,

Customer Question

my car is not starting and it has MIL light, battery light, engine oil pressure warning light on
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i went for 10 day vacation adn car was unning ok. Its nissan rogue 2011. now my car is not starting even i put a booster battery to jump it. It doesn't look like it is battery problem.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Nissan Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hi im kevin what actually happens when the key is turned to start position?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, it tries to start ...and i went on pressing for 10 seconds but it did not start. It feels like it has almost started. I used the battery booster also and it got a little discharged while trying to start the car.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have added the image of the warning lights.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a way we can chat?
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

I dont have specific info on your model to guide with this type of fault il opt out another tech will assist

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay thanks.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Do you know if you have Remote start? What is the car doing when you try to start it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have remote start - I think you mean if I can start my car remotely without getting into the car.It tries to start ...and i went on pressing for 10 seconds but it did not start. It feels like it has almost started. I used the battery booster also and it got a little discharged while trying to start the car.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The engine is turning over but not starting? Is that what it is doing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't look like it is the battery (although I am no expert) since the light insides are bright and i just left it for 10 days in an underground garage.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Try stepping on the Accelerator all the way and turn the engine over. If it starts to catch, then slowly back off the accelerator pedal and see if it starts.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I think it's just flooded.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since i usualy hit breaks to start the ignition.So hit accelerator and break together?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

yes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i will be back in 10 mins.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I started with accelerator and first time it started and then stopped in 1 sec. Later it coudn't start with accelarator also. I tried 4 time after the first starting of the car.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have this picture of warning lights that I sent earlier.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what do you mean by "it's flooded"?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

When you press the accelerator all the way, it kills injector pulse so no fuel can go into the engine. So if it's flooded, holding the pedal all the way will help dry out the cylinders. But if it attempts to start, you want to let off the accelerator pedal so it can get fuel

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Those warning lights are normal when the ignition is on. That is called bulb check

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I try again? Would it kill my battery or anything else if I try many times?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I would try one more time. It almost started that last time right?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it almost fully started and then died down in 1 sec.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

That pretty much verifies that it is flooded. Go try again..

Since you have push button start, what I want you to do to keep the engine turning is to press and hold the start button down for around 10 seconds, unless it starts of course. When you hold the start button down, the starter will stay engaged longer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have push button start but turning the key start.It started again for few secs and died down.I also saw there was some oil/gas coming out from exhaust.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

When you turn the key to the ON position, is the security light on solid?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no security light is off. Security light is blinking when the key is turned OFF.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think gas (oil) coming out of exhaust is OK?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

That is most likely just condensation coming out.

When it starts, are you still holding down the accelerator pedal? or are you releasing it as it starts?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i released it once it starts.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Try releasing it as it starts, not once it starts.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it looks more like water than oil/gas.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok will be back in 10/15 mins.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

And try only stepping on the pedal a little and see if starts?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Did you get the car started? I have not heard back from you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Jay. Sorry i was cooking and dinner earlier.I tried 3 times and it didn't start like before it started for few seconds.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Did you get gas recently before this happened?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Do you recall if you had a Service Engine Soon light on last when the car was running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got gas 5-6 days ago before i left for vacation. so I did drive after getting gas for about 50kms.I did see service engine soon light early lasy year but it went away by itself. I do look at lights frequenlty and I did not have any lights before i left for vacation.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

How handy are you? I am starting to think the throttle plate maybe stuck or you have a bad throttle chamber.

Let me know..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not think I am any good when it comes to car....I dont even change my own oil :)
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Based on what it sounds like, there is a electronic throttle chamber issue. This is something you would need to have checked and verified if you are unable to do the checks your self.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!