Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

Matt, QX56 2004 P1168 P1051 I change the O2 sensor bank1

Customer Question

JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: QX56 2004 P1168 P1051 I change the O2 sensor bank1 sensoer 1 but the light came back on even after reset ecu
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Nissan Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
hello
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
are you there
Expert:  Mike V. replied 9 months ago.

Hi there,

There is a technical service bulletin for these 2 codes.

Basically Nissan will reprogram the ecm and get the sensor back into parameters. There is a fee for this work, but since you have replaced the sensor already, it should be done and something you should consider.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the dealer has to reprogram the ecm?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 9 months ago.

the bulletin # ***** *****

I have had a lot of success with this reprogramming to resolve this particular code.

I believe some shops have the ability with the right scan tool, so I would call around. I have only worked at the dealership so I am not that up to date on aftermarket scan tools.

You likely didn't even have to replace the sensor to be honest.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Really? What does it cost?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How do I get to this bulletin?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 9 months ago.

The labor is .8 hours to have the computer reprogrammed. I would start there. It is possible that you may also have a converter issue, but you need to start here.

HERE is a link to the bulletin.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
y wouldn't the converter throw a code
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
will the dealer take the truck if it's not registered. just picked it up today. need emissions before I can get a tag.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 9 months ago.

They don't always, but if the sensor isn't working it's not going to. The sensor tells on the converter. That's basically it's job in a round about way. I am only giving you a heads up that it could come to that. One step at a time, taking care of getting rid of this first code is the first step. Then once that is done wait and see if the converter code comes up. If not, then it's golden.

They should, it doesn't have to be registered to work on it.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 9 months ago.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Also, please remember to rate my answer.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm going to send you something to look at in a second just to make sure we're on the same page.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I added a couple of files with the diag can you take a look. Just let me know if all that we talked about applies. Also the sensor that I changed was Bank 1 sensor 1.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
you still around Mike
Expert:  Mike V. replied 9 months ago.

The bulletin covers both banks, the 2 codes you have are also both bank so yes, we are talking about the same thing. The reprogramming changes the parameters for the heaters on the O2 sensors so it will run in loop.

Sorry for the delay, lost my internet connection last night.