Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

The ECM does not cut the voltage to the EGRC solenoid

Customer Question

the ECM does not cut the voltage to the EGRC solenoid between engine rpm 2000-4000 to allow vacuum from the throttle body to pass through the solenoid to enable the EGR to operate as it should. Exhaust temp sensor changed. Intake, throttle body, EGR tube all cleaned. MAF changed. ECM changed. Suspect coolant sensor sending bad signal to ECM. Need to fix for CAL smog. Ideas?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question

What codes do you have?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no codes but the EGR will not complete it's test, also when performing functional test EGR does not operate properly until solenoid bypass test is performed.
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Did you check to see if the tube that has the EGR temp sensor is clogged up with carbon?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
all tubing was checked or replaced. the voltage to the solenoid is not being cut by the ECM that is the problem all vacuum lines to all valves are clear and have been tested
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

If the solenoid is staying energized, that is powered by the Ecm. Did you replace the Ecm?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ECM was changed
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Has the intake been checked for carbon build up as well where the EGR Pipe bolts into it? Are you doing the work or a repair shop?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the circuit from ecm to solenoid checked good
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
all carbon intake throttle body egr pipe everthing was cleaned.
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

If you lift the EGR diaphram with the engine at idle, will it stall the car?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the voltage is the problem
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

I understand that. But I am trying to think of why the computer is doing this. It's still looking for some kind of signal which is why it is keeping the solenoid open so long.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the coolant temp sensor registers properly on the car's dash gauge. but not sure if it is proper with the ecm
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

The only thing I can think of to try to isolate what signal is causing the Ecm to keep the EGRC solenoid open so long is to do a Ecm Terminal Reference check. There has to be a signal out of spec.

Are you a repair shop?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the ecm circuit to solenoid was checked. the ecm was changed.
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

I already understand that. I am inquiring if you are doing the work? If you are, I can share the Ecm terminal reference check to see if there is something out of spec causing the Ecm to keep the solenoid on longer than it should

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
share
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

That is the complete Ecm terminal reference check. For your issue, each pin will need to be checked and it's readings compared to the specs provided

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
that url gets an error
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Are you on a computer or a cell phone?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
computer, it came up
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Ok. You got it. It is in a PDF format.

Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!