Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Expert Witness
7183013

Well I have 2 error codes p0325 which is a knock sensor

Customer Question

well I have 2 error codes p0325 which is a knock sensor circuit malfunction(bank 1) and a p1441 is my main concern vacuum cut valve bypass valve
JA: What year is your 2?
Customer: 2001 nissian Altima gxe
JA: Nice car. The Nissan Mechanic can help you with your '01 2 . Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I have check engine light on and had code pulled by auto zone
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have not run diagnostics just found out yesterday and its been raining all day
JA: Are you ready to speak with the Nissan Mechanic now?
Customer: yes
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Ted G. replied 9 months ago.

The P1441 code means the fuel evaporative emission system is sensing a small leak. First thing to try is replacing the fuel cap and making sure it's seal surface is clean. Then you need to either clear the code or drive it for a few days to see if it goes away. If you still have the leak you will need to get the fuel system 'smoke' tested, this injects a harmless smoke into the system and will detect the leak. On an older car like that there are about 15 parts that could be leaking so guessing is not viable.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok so if i replace gas cap how do i rest cel
Expert:  Ted G. replied 9 months ago.

You need to use a scanner to reset it. Autozone will likely do it for you. If you don't reset it and the leak is fixed it should turn off the light in about 3-5 days of driving. (However the code will still be in there up to a month).

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What are the chances of it being a purge valve
Expert:  Ted G. replied 9 months ago.

Very unlikely because the valve will cause a large leak if it's stuck open. The 1441 code means a very small leak, usually a seal or hose leaking. Some of the Altimas also had pin holes rust in the fuel fill tube, but I don't think yours is one of the ones effected by that.