Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

My name is ***** ***** and im having a problem with my 2002

Customer Question

hello my name is ***** ***** and im having a problem with my 2002 nissan frontier
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: sure the truck was cranking over took awhile for it to start then the service engine soon light came on it shook alittle bit then died and now theres nothing when you try to turn it over
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Nissan Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

So the engine does not turn over any more? or it turns over and does not try to start?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the engine will not crank anymore turn the key foward and then there is nothing. it is not seized the serice engine soon light came on just before it died and now nothing at all
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Do you have a test light or volt meter to see if the starter is getting power when the key is turned?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i just had a brand new starter put in just before this started happening
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

If it's a after market starter, it wouldn't surprise me that it has failed. But we can verify that if you have a test light or volt meter. Do you have one to check to see if the starter is getting power?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i have a voltmeter what sould it read on the starter
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

You want to unplug the gray plug that is the trigger wire going to the starer. On the harness side, when the key is turned to the Crank Position, you should see battery voltage.

Let me know what you find. You will need someone to help you by turning the key for you while you check for voltage.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
where is the starter located
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

It should be located on the passenger side of the truck along the transmission bell housing area

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok found it tested it and there is power to the starter
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

If you have battery voltage on the gray plug when the key is turned to the Crank Position, that is a indication of a bad starter.

It is very common for after market alternator and starters not to work properly. The quality of after market parts are horrible. You would need to replace the starter and I would suggest getting it from the dealer.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work.

I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!