Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

My name is ***** ***** i have a 2004 nissan maxima i keep

Customer Question

Hi my name is ***** ***** i have a 2004 nissan maxima i keep getting the code p0507
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I cleaned my throtle body and my car just revs up and down
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Nissan Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 9 months ago.

Hi there,

Did you have this problem prior to cleaning the throttle body?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Not that problem it keep giving me p1800 and p0507 put the vias on and the p1800 went away
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i cant take the p0507 off even when i reset the light withe key and gas pedal
Expert:  Mike V. replied 9 months ago.

Ok, I would get a code reader to clear the codes. Using the gas pedal can be tricky.

It sounds to me like the first thing to try is doing a idle relearn. This has to be done any time the battery is disconnected or the throttle body is disconnected. I will give you the manual procedure to do this. You need to read through it and make sure that you follow the procedure to the letter and use a watch or clock with a second hand. The timing has to be perfect or the relearn won't work. Please try this first and let me know.

Nissan Relearn
1 Perform "Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning".
A Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.
B Turn ignition switches ‘ON’ and waits at least 2 seconds.
C Turn ignition switches 'OFF' wait at least 10 seconds.
D Turn ignition switches ‘ON’ and waits at least 2 seconds.
E Turn ignition switches 'OFF' wait at least 10 seconds.
2 Perform "Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning”.
B Turn ignition switches 'ON'.
Note Make sure that throttle valve moves during above 10 seconds by confirming the operating sound.
3 Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
4 Turn ignition switches ‘OFF’ and waits at least 10 seconds.
5 Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch 'ON' and wait 3 seconds.
6 Repeat the following procedure quickly five times within 5 seconds.
A Fully depress the accelerator pedal.
B Fully releases the accelerator pedal.
7 Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 20 seconds until the MIL stops blinking and turned ON.
8 Fully release the accelerator pedal within 3 seconds after the MIL goes off.
9 Start engine and let it idle.
10 Wait 20 seconds.
11 Rev up the engine two or three times and make sure that idle speed and ignition timing are within the specifications.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yea i already did that sir and my light came back on
Expert:  Mike V. replied 9 months ago.

Ok, if the engine is still surging after doing the relearn, then you need to try to locate the reason. The code is a result.

You may have a vacuum leak or even a bad mass air flow sensor causing the idle to surge. Take some carb cleaner and with the engine running spray it around the intake and see if the idle speed increases or smooths out. If it does, then you know you have a leak. If not, then I would try unplugging the mass air flow and then start the car and see if it idles better. If it does, could be an indication it's the problem.

Finally, make sure the negative battery cable didn't break down where it connects to the transmission and body. It's a known issue with these and it can cause damage to the computer. If that happens the relearn won't take.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok ill try that later ill let u know wat happens thanks
Expert:  Mike V. replied 9 months ago.

You are very welcome.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hey sir i changed my mass air flow senor mnd i have no leak and still hae the same problem
Expert:  Mike V. replied 9 months ago.

Ok, try disconnecting the battery for one hour, then reconnect the battery and do the idle relearn procedure on the car and please check the negative battery cable.

Also, can I assume there was a difference in the idle when you unplugged the maf sensor?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yea there was a difference it was not pass 40 miles. When i would accelerate.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 9 months ago.

lol, we are checking your idle, not how fast the car will go. It will not accelerate without the maf plugged in. The computer turns off the fuel injection when it doesn't see a signal. You can't rev the engine past about 2700 rpms. The test was to simply see if the idle smoothed out is all.

Please re run the test and see if the idle surges less.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 9 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Not today sir thanks
Expert:  Mike V. replied 9 months ago.

Has the issue been resolved?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No sir not yet Im trying to relearn the idle