Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

My 2005 Nissan Xterra SE 4wd with 148k miles had VDC dash

Customer Question

My 2005 Nissan Xterra SE 4wd with 148k miles had VDC dash light come on a few times in last 3 days. Then today the 4wd, ABS, Brake lights; the tach & speedo and temp gauge went to 0; the tranny didn't shift normally and when it did it felt like the rear gears were getting jolted. Also the headlights came on and off on their own and turn signals and fog lights did not work. I shut the car off when I got home and it would not start again, nor turn over; approximaely 30 minutes later it did and all the dash lights were on again. 2 months ago I had the tranny rebuilt and the computer replaced due to coolant leaking into the tranny from the radiator issue that has occurred on these vehicles. Thx - JC
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Do you have a volt meter to do some checks?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, but I work at a dealership and can have the service dept do it tomorrow.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I would like to try to scan the truck for codes, and also check the Charging system. The easiest way to check it is to put the volt meter on the battery. Then start the engine and let it idle. Make sure the lights are off and AC is off. You should see around 14.3 volts on the volt meter. Then turn the head lights on, AC on and rear defroster. The voltage should be no lower than 13.8 volts.

Lets check that and scan the truck tomorrow and then return back to me here tomorrow evening and let me know what you found.

Sound good?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jay, Sounds like a good start due to the fact that I've seen a similar dash light issues on some of the vehicles at the dealership. My concern was that it's related to the tranny work that was recently done and I need to have it addressed there. I'll have the techs at Acura follow your advice and get back to you tomorrow with results. Thx - John
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

You got it John, Let me know how you make out and what you find.