Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

My 03 murano had an issue where the wiper linkage popped

Customer Question

My 03 murano had an issue where the wiper linkage popped off. Replaced the linkage and now the wiper goes from the up position down
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It's like it should be rotating the opposite direction
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Nissan Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
When I put the wipers on they go down instead of up. If I had the wipers in the up position they would work but always be in my line of sight.
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

It sounds like the wiper arms were installed in the incorrect time of wiper operation.

Pop the 14 mm nuts off for the wiper arms so the arms are loose. Then cycle the wipers on and off. Once the cycle is completely off, then set your wiper arm position and tighten. Then recheck it's operation.

Let me know how you make out.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Did that and they wiped straight down and pulled off all the moulding under the windshield. It should be going up first no?
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Did you get a whole assembly with wiper linkage and motor?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No motor. Had to take the motor off the old and put the linkage back on.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry... I took the linkage off, took the motor off and attached it onto the new linkage
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

If you remove the wiper arms, and cycle the wipers. That should cycle the wiper pivots and park them in the proper position for the wiper arms to be re-installed.

Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Where did you buy this linkage?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ya that's what I did assembled everything put didn't put the arms on turned the wipers on and stood back proud of the work I did then realized arms rotated counter clockwise instead of clockwise.
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Where did you buy this linkage?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Bought it at fat guys auto. It's a dorman not oem
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

The only thing I can think of is that the linkage you got is incorrect and the wiper motor is facing the wrong direction. That is the only way it would swipe the wrong direction.

Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

I would get the linkage from the dealer so you know you are getting the correct linkage. After installing, do not put the wiper arms on. Turn the key ON and cycle the wipers on and off. Once the pivots have stopped, then put the wiper arms on and lock them down. Then recheck the operation.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hmmm... I guess I'll google what it should look like
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Maybe the motor is on backwards
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

If the motor is not mounted the same direction, that is why it is swiping the wrong direction

Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

I would remove it and lay it next to the original one and see if it looks the same. You want to look at the motor mounting area.

Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Do you have any more questions on this?