Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

My 93 Nissan maxima will randomly start sputtering really

Customer Question

My 93 Nissan maxima will randomly start sputtering really bad and it feels like its running on 4 cylinders. Sometimes it will just start running normal again after a few minutes without doing anything to fix it?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

What brand spark plugs did you install?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I think they were NGK, also the car didn't act any differently between the old set and the new set.
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Please be sure they were NGK's for me, Non-Platinum.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'll go check now.
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

ok

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I do believe they are NGK platniums
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

These engines are very sensitive to the spark plugs used. This engine does not call for a Platinum plug, but do require NGK spark plugs.

Once the correct plugs are installed, and if you have no change, then you could be looking at a distributor issue.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
anything ngk that's not platinum will be fine? There was one other thing that I would imagine could have some part in my misfire problem. when looking at the vacuum line diagrams for my car it shows there's a part called a vacuum box/tank, which I'm not too familiar with and my car doesn't appear to have one of these. I'm going to head to a parts store here soon to pickup some spark plugs.
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Yes, Nissan's are very sensitive the spark plugs used. If this engine calls for NGK's that are not Platinum, That is what you need to use.

I don't recall these older Maxima's having a vacuum box with all the vacuum lines. That sounds like a Honda thing.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The car does in fact have a diagram under the hood showing the vacuum tank as well as an empty bracket attached to the drivers side strut tower where it should be. Also im not being billed for every step of this conversation correct?
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

No you are not being billed for every step of this question.

Lets just take it one thing at a time.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok sounds good. thank you for your time so far. I'm going to head to the parts store.
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

ok