Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

My 93 Nissan maxima will randomly start sputtering really

Customer Question

My 93 Nissan maxima will randomly start sputtering really bad and it feels like its running on 4 cylinders. Sometimes it will just start running normal again after a few minutes without doing anything to fix it?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

What brand spark plugs did you install?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think they were NGK, also the car didn't act any differently between the old set and the new set.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Please be sure they were NGK's for me, Non-Platinum.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll go check now.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do believe they are NGK platniums
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

These engines are very sensitive to the spark plugs used. This engine does not call for a Platinum plug, but do require NGK spark plugs.

Once the correct plugs are installed, and if you have no change, then you could be looking at a distributor issue.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
anything ngk that's not platinum will be fine? There was one other thing that I would imagine could have some part in my misfire problem. when looking at the vacuum line diagrams for my car it shows there's a part called a vacuum box/tank, which I'm not too familiar with and my car doesn't appear to have one of these. I'm going to head to a parts store here soon to pickup some spark plugs.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Yes, Nissan's are very sensitive the spark plugs used. If this engine calls for NGK's that are not Platinum, That is what you need to use.

I don't recall these older Maxima's having a vacuum box with all the vacuum lines. That sounds like a Honda thing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car does in fact have a diagram under the hood showing the vacuum tank as well as an empty bracket attached to the drivers side strut tower where it should be. Also im not being billed for every step of this conversation correct?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

No you are not being billed for every step of this question.

Lets just take it one thing at a time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok sounds good. thank you for your time so far. I'm going to head to the parts store.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

ok