Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

We just bought a used 2012 Maxima SV with the premium

Customer Question

We just bought a used 2012 Maxima SV with the premium package with no navigation installed. Would this be a big undertaking to install the NAV unit in this vehicle? I think the wiring harness should be OK correct?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

If the car did not come with Navigation, you can not add factory navigation to the car. There are after market kits you can get that will add Navigation. But the cost will make you get a holder for your Cell phone and use your phone as a Navigation. After Market kits are around 600 bucks. Here is a video of a Infiniti that has a after market kit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtztejTTU8w

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is the reason NAV can't be installed because of the wiring harness?
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

That is part of it. The harness does not have all the connectors it needs. Plus the dash would need to be removed to install a GPS antenna. But one of the main reasons is cause all the control units that talk to the AV unit won't support the software for that type of conversion. All control units talk to each other in your year Maxima. When you change a control unit, it has to be able to communicate will all the control units. That is another big thing.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

I am saying the Navigation is a Control unit cause it's part of what they call the AV control unit.

Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

It speaks with the ABS system, the unified meter, Ecm and so on. Those systems don't have the software to communicate with a AV unit with navigation. But then again, you won't have all the connectors for it either. Which means the harness is different. The harness it's self is around 600, not including labor.

Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work.

I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Did you have any more questions on this?