Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
19513769

My 2006 maxima seems fine when cold, but once it warms up it

Customer Question

My 2006 maxima seems fine when cold, but once it warms up it instantly slips, seems like in neutral no matter where the stick is set. 5 speed Automatic. Valve body replaced last night, still doing it. You can roll to a stop and just sits there whether in drive or reverse. Ideas? Trans oil initially was pretty dark. Tiny little bit of fine metallic dust was in oil... So little as to be inconsequential. I can only think of one more option... Transmission speed sensor?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

this transmission should at least move in a forward gear and reverse even if the speed sensor is at fault

are there any codes set ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I forgot to add... Often if you turn it off and put in park, wait 30 seconds then start again, it will grab power to the wheels again. If you do it immediately without waiting, often wont grab. I turned off vss, no dice. No odor or weird sounds when it happens. Literally acts like in neutral though still says D or R. Manual shifting same thing. Valve body from level 10, full rebuilt with different solenoids. I did the valve body myself so please include instructions on any recommended repair of any kind. if parts such as trans filter or screen, please tell or link to how to replace and how to test first. Very welcome would be troubleshooting procedures.
Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

are there any codes set in the TCM or the ECM ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Zero. Have odb2 bluetooth adapter, shows no code. I did unplug speed sensor and got code just to verify codes were working, lol. Also speedo still works so likely not. By the way, Isn't there a diagnostic mode to put ecu into by doing some weird combo of pedals/buttons etc, like a trans self-test? Found one for 4 speed, but not this trans.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Wait.
I only did the standard odb2... Is there another port?
Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

when there is NO movement in any gear will full fluid and a new valve c=body complete this issue comes down to a bad TCM or an internal failure of the input drum or a one way clutch acting up when warmed up a bit

with no codes try a new TCM if it still does this the transmission needs to come out and apart for internal inspection or just install a used one complete would be alot cheaper

Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

no just one port

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK I assume tcm = transmission control module. Where is that?Also I have read some saying could be junk sucked up into screen filter, then when off it settles back down out of screen only to be sucked up again after running for a few. What is likelyhood of that and would a flush be a good idea?When cold you can even stomp gas with zero slip by the way forgot to mention. When it starts to go it is within 10 second. Tach creeps up faster and faster then no grab at all and you roll to a stop.
Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

pull the pan and check the filter

if its clean then do a flush

the TCM is located here

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That's the problem... What pan do I pull? I only know of valve body cover. The trans otherwise has no option that I see but to crack open sideways. Did I miss it when I had the valve body cover off? I didn't see much in there...
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Also... Is there any repair manual you recommend? I remember buying them years ago for older cars, detailed instructions on how to do many things.
Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

does this transmission have a bottom pan on it ?

Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

from my information it does not which means it uses a strainer instead of a filter and the odds of that being plugged are slim to none

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No. Put together sideways. It's the one in this pic: https://www.google.com/search?q=2006+maxima+transmission&prmd=svin&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwimnbDal_XKAhVF1R4KHd-NCKsQ_AUICSgD&biw=360&bih=559#tbm=isch&q=2006+maxima+5+speed+transmission&imgrc=V1QVFqmP-H8SsM%3A
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
There looks like some sort of access plate on the side through wheel well, but looks beefy and may go into inside of trans, not really any sort of pan of anything
Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

ok this has the strainer in it

try a flush if that does not work try a TCM if it still does this rebuild or replace the transmission

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK. Can I still come back to this question for several days?
Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

you can always get me back through this post for FREE with any follow up anytime even after you rate us here at Justanswer as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK great... Just to confirm, how do I get to the strainer?
Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

it is inside the transmission and does not need to be changed

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK gotcha. Thanks for your help. Do you think a Nissan diagnostic would be best next step? Or flush then tcm swap?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
on that answer I'll go ahead and rate you. Thanks for your help! I may have a few follow-ups, but likely nowhere near as long as this.
Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

no problem

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry I meant upon the answer of the question of the best next step... To simply go to Nissan for diagnostic or should I flush then change tcm if flush doesn't help?
Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

you could have Nissan JUST diagnose the problem which the odds are it is an internal transmission failure and then decide to have them fix it our you fix it v/s what they find

Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here at justanswer

Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

how are you making out ?