Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I have a 2005 nissan altima 2.5S. I am getting vibrations in

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 2005 nissan altima 2.5S. I am getting vibrations in certain areas:
1. When i turn on the car in the morning (cold) dash/steering wheel vibrates, but when I let go of the brakes and drive it completely stops.
2. Then when i hit 51 MPH, i will get a vibration in the accelerator pedal/steering wheel like a pulsing vibration and it seems to get lesser once i hit 70 MPH.I have already replaced 3 motor mounts, left forward and right. Tires have been recently balanced.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

This vibration, do you feel it feel it only when moving?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Both actually, if the engine is cold, i would feel a strong vibration. But then driving around for 15 -20 min warming up the car and get to a stop light It happens a lot less.
But i always feel a vibration once i hit 51 mph cold or hot. Not sure if it's two problems or related.
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

The most common thing that I am going to say that can give you a vibration at idle and moving is a bad engine mount. The right side engine mount which is right in front of the engine on the passenger side are the most common engine mounts to go. When that goes it can cause the vibration you are talking about and also produce it when driving. I would have that right side engine mount checked and replaced as needed. I would also have all the others checked. When one mount goes it can put pressure on the others. If you let it go to long it can damage other engine mounts as well.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I see. If you read the end of my original question i write "I have already replaced 3 motor mounts, left forward and right. "
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

There is one you didn't replace, I am taking it that it is the rear engine mount?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the rear one. it looked to be in good condition, so i didnt replace it.
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

That is the hardest one anyway! The subframe normally has to come down to remove it.

How is your exhaust mounting?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yea it didn't look fun to get too. And I have never messed with the exhaust, it's all stock. Is there any weak points or anything your thinking?
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

I would just get under the car and bang around on it to see if it seems loose.

I have a test you can do. I can keep this question open till you do this as well.

Try to get the car up to that 60 mph or so when you are feeling the vibration, if you are handy, you can do this. If you don't feel comfortable then don't do this. Make sure your in a safe location and no many cars or trucks around you and put the car into neutral and turn the car off and coast. See if you still feel the vibration. That will help isolate the vibration. This will tell me if the vibration is in the engine at that speed. If the vibration goes away, you are going to want to recheck your engine mounts. Possibly a after market mount that is to stiff. If you still feel it, then it would be in the wheels. High road force in a tire or wheel bearing or something.

Once you have felt it go away, or stay.. Since you are in neutral coasting, just turn the key to start the car, and put it back into gear to continue driving.

Do you think you can try that?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ya good idea! I will first try to bang around and see if anything is going on with the exhaust points. And if i dont find anything ill try the turn off the car idea. And yes the mounts are aftermarket, but the car vibrated like crazy all the time at idle. Once replaced it was 90% better. After it happens only when cold or very rarely and random. thanks
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

Ok.. Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
1. I just drove the car, and drove up to around 55mph, put it in neutral and turned off the car. The noise was STILL there with the engine off. I didn't get a chance to check under the car if there are any exhaust parts loose. 2. Also for the other vibration when im at a stoplight the vibration went away when i put it into neutral but in drive it's still there if there means anything.
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

I don't recall anything about a noise.. But that is good so it would mean the noise is either a tire noise or possibly a wheel bearing.

If the vibration went away with the car off, that tells me it's either a engine mount issue or exhaust mounting issue. If the engine mounts are the wrong composite. It may allow the vibration to go through the vehicle instead of absorb it. This is common for After Market engine mounts. So you would normally have someone use a pry bar on the engine in the engine mount area at idle to isolate the area that is causing the vibration.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I see, but since the vibration is there when i turned the car off going 55mph so according to you its not the motor mount/exhaust. I did replace the U joint connected to the steering rack and steering wheel last month, im not sure if it has anything to do with it. It was a used part. I don't remember if it did the vibration before. Could that cause vibration only above 50 mph? also so you think it could be a tire, wheel bearing or anything else?
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

If you are going 55 mph, and you have a vibration still with the car turned off, that is either tire issue, or a wheel bearing or something

The steering rack can't cause a vibration unless the tie rod ends are loose or something.