Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I have a 2014 Nissan Versa Note. The vehicle has 12k miles.

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2014 Nissan Versa Note. The vehicle has 12k miles. Basically the vehicle makes a whining noise when it accelerates. I took it to the local Nissan dealership and I was told that the sound is normal on those type of vehicles with a CVT transmission. I don't know if it is true or not since the vehicle is under warranty I don't want this to be an issue once the vehicle is not in warranty. In addition, to that when I accelerate I hear a sound that is like cricket but it goes away after the vehicle accelerates but in the process of acceleration it is definitely there. This noise is combined with the whining noise coming from the transmission when it changes gears.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Nissan. The Nissan Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I don't know.
JA: Is there anything else the Nissan Mechanic should be aware of about your Nissan?
Customer: None.... Can you help?
JA: OK. Got it. Last thing - JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question

The best thing to do is to ask the dealer to drive another one to see if it has the same noise. This way you would know if it is normal or not.

Your transmission has a 5 year or 60k mile warranty. So it has plenty of warranty

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
well I rode the vehicle with the dealer's mechanic and he told me that " the whining noise is because Nissan installed shifting points on those CVT's and that is why you have whining noise whenever the car shifts gears. As far as, the cricket noise when I accelerate he told me it was bad gas????? and that kind did not sit well with me, because it seem to me he oversimplified What could that cricket noise could be?
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

The chatter noise under light acceleration if gas related is due to low octane level. That is what he means by bad gas. Run that take low and fill up with super and around 1/2 tank the noise should be almost gone.

This time of year they put ethanol in regular and middle grade fuel. They don't treat super. So the ethanol is what affects the octane level. In the spring they change it back, so you can go back to regular then.

Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Do you under stand? Is that a better explanation?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** cricket noise, besides the " bad gas" could it be something else? it only happens when I accelerate then it goes away.
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

I would change gas first, run a tank of super in the car and see if the noise is still there. If it is still there then I would take it back to the dealer to have it rechecked

Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

If it is the ticking noise at idle, the could simply be the injectors ticking which is normal. You should not hear the noise when sitting in the car.

Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Hello?

Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!