Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I own a 2006 Nissan Murano with a stock bose system. One

Customer Question

I own a 2006 Nissan Murano with a stock bose system. One day, all noise from my speakers stopped (all of the speakers) Radio still switches stations and volume level goes up, but no sound. when the radio is playing the bose amp is warm to the touch. So i figured the amp may still be good. Just wondering what steps i should take to get a diagnostic.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

If you put a CD in the radio, does the CD player has sound?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

It is very common for the radio to internally fail and cause this.

Some times if you bang on the side of the radio, you maybe able to get the sound to return or come on for a second or so. If you can do that, then you know the issue is the radio.

Give that a try and let me know what happens..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just tried, no luck. I've had no sound for about 3 months and I live on a pretty rough road. Ive never heard the sound even partially come back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, i have pretty decent knowledge in stereo systems. Ive installed plenty of decks in prior vehicles. I have just never stuck with stock radio and have never had a bose. but I'm pretty confident in knowing locations of most of the parts
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

There is a external amp, but that most of the time doesn't fail. Normally when there is no sound it comes from a internal issue in the radio.

I can supply you with the wiring diagram if you would like to double check this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have skimmed over the wiring of the amp located right behind the rear passenger seat. Is that the external amp?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the Bose amp is on the Passenger side behind the back seat. Yes that is a external amp.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. i did skim over the wiring on that. But the diagram could be helpful if you want to send it over.If all checks clear for the wiring on the amp. How do i get to the wiring behind the radio?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Let me get you the wiring diagram and I will supply the component layout as well. Then I will get into how to remove the radio to check the wiring in the back of the radio

Hang on

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sounds great. Thanks!
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/0b.pdf

I included self diag, and the Radio Terminal Reference as well as the Amps terminal reference check for you. At the end is how you remove the unit.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have removed the radio and there doesn't appear to be any loose or disconnected wires. I watched a video on youtube that said one of the biggest issues that causes the problem is things like coins getting lodged between the radio and the face plate. Im not sure if its a legit thing that happens but when i removed the radio, i did actually find coins stuck every where. When i plugged everything back in, no sound. But i have noticed a sight buzz/thud sound (almost like bass coming from the speakers) while changing the radio stations, which never happened before. Do you think I'm getting close? I only hear the noise when i turn the tuning dial to different stations.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The coin issue is mainly the Maxima.

If your are getting a Buzz then thud every time you turn the car off and back on the radio on, that sounds like it could be a shorted speaker. I would locate each speaker and unplug one at a time to see if sound returns.