Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I have a 2010 Maxima. The tire pressure indicator light

Customer Question

I have a 2010 Maxima. The tire pressure indicator light remains on after making sure all tires were properly filled AND a loud klunking noise comes from back of car. Nothing is hanging down so what could it be?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Do you hear the clunking while driving on flat roads? or just on bumps or what?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
flat roads too The tire pressure thing lights up and it did and I put air in the tires.....but that indicator stays lit now (never did before) as well as this clunking...not real loud. We looked under it and cannot see anything like muffle loose or anything.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

If the clunking is random and does not increase and decrease with vehicle speed then then the two things are not likely related at all.

The TPMS issue could be a couple things. First thing would be to make sure you have adequate tire pressure (over 35 psi). If the lights don't clear after that you may need to have your dealer or a tire shop reset the TPMS and see if that fixes it. Wrst case scenarion the TPMS needs rebuilt or replaced on one of the tires.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is your thoughts on the clunking then
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Generally when customers experience a clunking sound while driving it happens at times when they hit a dip or bump in the road. Usually this can be contributed to a a bad strut or strut mount or the spare tire being lose in the trunk.

If the exhaust was loose or contacting something the noise is usually more distinct with a metal on metal sound.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is all of the time, just riding along, it is not me hitting a bump or anything, that is why we are confused about it. Have had tire pressure checked twice and the tires are only 8 months old, they are fine.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

can you describe the clunk a little better?

?

location and description of the sound in detail?