Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

We need to re-program a key with chip 2006 Nissan

Customer Question

We need to re-program a key with chip for our 2006 Nissan Pathfinder. Trying to find instructions how to do this...
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My daughter had a new key re-programmed when she misplaced her old key. We found the old key, lost the new one. Somehow the old key now has become "un-programmed". Need to re-program this key.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Nissan Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 10 months ago.

Hey there, thanks for the question.

You need dealer level equipment to program a key. You need to get decode the 5 digit BCM code and use the Pin read to register the new key. Anytime you register a new key it DISABLES all the old key registrations.

Expert:  Jake replied 10 months ago.

Some locksmiths also have the ability to convert pin reads and register keys. Their price is about the same as the dealer to register a key, but at least you wouldn't have a tow bill that way.