Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

My girlfriend a 2007 nissan murano AWD with 145K and it is

Customer Question

Hi my name is Dave, my girlfriend a 2007 nissan murano AWD with 145K and it is making a grinding/ clunking noise in the front end. I thought it was a cv shaft but I put it up on my list and they seen tight no movement. when I rock the front wheel back and forth fast I hear a loud clunking noise in the transfer case/ front diff. area I was going to check the fluid leve and go from there.. Reading all the stuff only it might be junk
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: like what?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Nissan Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

You can not rock the wheel back and forth, that knocking would be normal. That is the gear slack you are hearing. You can get the same noise from almost any rear diff if you do the same thing.

Even though that noise is normal, If you have a lift, you can just put it in gear while the car is up in the air to duplicate the noise. The issue is still most likely the transfer case. They tend to go on these cars. Most of the time I have seen them fail when you have mix match tires. Meaning all tires are not the same brand tires or size. When you have mix match tires it puts a strain on the transfer case and it breaks or cracks inside.

Do you have all the same brand tires on the car?